Visual Culture

Part I: What is visual culture?

Visual culture is a cultural tendency of humans grasps the real world and then through simulation after having the ability to replicate reality better. In the days of underdeveloped transportation, there were no planes, ships, automobiles, etc. People’s movement areas were limited. The culture and architecture of other countries were difficult to observe directly. At this time, there would be caravans traveling and use pictures or texts to talk about the culture from other places. After the Renaissance, people were gradually able to depict different cultural content in a more concrete way. Technology also evolved from pictures to digital media. We can see the cultural content of other places through online videos, texts, images, etc.

If a person who never been to China and wants to know about the cultural architecture in different areas in China, he or she can find some related documentaries on the internet. This visual culture helps people to understand and observe the culture of other places in a more straightforward way. And transforming the culture from an abstract concept to concrete and observable information content.

Part II:What does this mean to myself?

By watching different cultural content on the internet, it helps me to understand the culture of other countries. I am also able to understand design concepts faster when viewing some artworks. When I don’t have any breakthroughs, I will think about whether my limited thinking makes my design come simple. After that, I research and study the visual products of different regions to understand the current emerging design elements. When I come back to redesign my work, I think there are some new design elements in it.

Part III: How can we use this when creating animations?

During the animation process, this visual effect can help animation establish an overall worldview by giving the story a background setting. The proper application of visual and cultural elements is crucial, which can help the viewer understand the information more quickly by using visual and cultural elements in architecture and other aspects. At the same time, it can also enrich the content of the story, making the animation content leave a deep impression on people.

This entry was posted in Design For Narrative, Structure, Film language and Animation. Bookmark the permalink.