Continuing Performance Animation

Part II: Shooting reference videos

In this session, we had to mimic and innovate ourselves with a video and then animate the video we had taken.

It’s been a little difficult for me because I’m not a very strong performer. But I’m going to try my best! A good animator must first learn to act so that he can help design and animate characters.

I started by going online and collecting three movie clips, all three of which I thought were very interesting on audio.

It was the ones I chose: [Alice Through the Looking Glass, Alice in Wonderland 2],[La La Land] and [The Truman Show].

My teacher suggested that I choose between [Alice Through the Looking Glass, Alice in Wonderland 2] and [The Truman Show]. Finally, I decided to choose [The Truman Show].

Since the lines in [The Truman Show] are mainly about saying hello to people, I wanted to add some exaggerated movements to the original video movements to enrich the details.

I first looked up a couple of performance videos online for reference.

I wanted to increase my arms’ movement when the character speaks his lines and then adds a backward lean when the character laughs. I can feel that my movements are still not sufficiently exaggerated and that my movements’ performance is not very strong. And it feels like the range of motion of the characters in the video is a bit small.

The advice of my teacher.

1. The characters can be acting in a forward walking position when shooting.

2. The character can turn around to greet other characters. It’s a bit of a worry that the character next to me doesn’t see me greeting them, so I need to turn around and keep facing them as I pass them.

3. My character could have been set up as someone out of exercise in the morning (in sportswear). The pace of the character is brisk as the character moves forward.

4. My scene can assume to have been shot in the street. At first, my character could be in a state of hesitation, and then he could pick up the pace. Then say hello to the person on the street.

5. The angle of the camera design can also adjust a bit.

I’ve got so much inspiration and inspiration from these suggestions that I’m going to redesign and re-shoot my performance video.

This entry was posted in Advanced and Experimental 3D Computer Animation. Bookmark the permalink.