Week5: Modify, Rigging and Modeling

This week’s main work on my collaborative project was to revise the model bindings of the previous week and create a new poster model.

Part I: Modifying the model bindings of the previous week

When I saw the game professional’s feedback, I realised that my panda’s surface was not smooth, and I realised that using the [3] key in MAYA to simulate a rounded effect would not have the same effect in Unity. So, in Maya, I needed to add edges to the panda model to achieve a rounded model.

After selecting the MAYA interface model, hold down [Shift] and the right mouse button and select [Smooth] to automatically generate a circular edge to achieve the rounded effect of the model. Smooth] is equivalent to the effect after the [3] key. The [3] key is only used as a preview.

I had feedback from the game majors that the panda model I created in Unity misaligned arms after imported the model.

After checking the model, I found that although I had frozen and cleared the model history during the last model build, this time, there was still a residual model history.

Once I deleted the history of the model, the model was finally properly imported into Unity by my team members.

A new problem arose, but the model animation created with the form of the Blend did not play the animation in Unity. My partner told me that the Blend shape is imported into Unity as a model attribute and therefore does not play smoothly. For Unity, the best way to use skeletal binding is to create model animations. My model already had the initial Pose action, so using the Bind Bone plugin didn’t help my model generate the right bones in a single click. So I started exploring the bones of the model manually.

You can start creating bones by selecting [Create Joints] from [Skeleton] in the [Rigging] module.

In the process of creating bones, we need to be careful: we need to create bones from larger to smaller joints. The shoulder, for example, can drive the arm and the wrist. First, you need to create the bones of the shoulder joint, then the bones of the arm joint, and finally the bones of the wrist joint.

I created the bones of the arms and the head of the panda separately. Then I started the process of skinning. Select [Bind Skin] from [Skin] in the [Rigging] module. The bones are now bound to the model at this point.

Next, I need to paint the weights to which the model is bound. Select [Paint Skin Weights] from [Skin] in the [Rigging] module after selecting the model.

However, during the process of painting the weights, I noticed that the parts of the model that were painted with the weights would change. After discussing this with my partner, we decided that the reason for the error was that the weights of the models interacted with each other, and because I did not create the bones of the spine in my model, the weights of the body torso changed as I did.

I started to recreate the bones of my body. In the thoracic section, add a bone to the original skeleton. In the [Rigging] module, select [Connect Joints] from [Skin] to connect the bones of the chest to the bones of the shoulder on either side. Note that you must first select the thoracic bones and then the shoulder bones. (Selection of children first)

Re-weighting:

Create NURBS Circles to parent-set limitations on curves and bones.

Final result:

Part II: Creation of a Soldier Poster Model

This week, I’ve been working on creating models for the posters of a soldier.

A list of the models I need to create:

1. The head of the soldier

2. Helmet Soldier and helmet straps

3. The branch

4. The leaves

My reference poster for the creation of this model:

1. The head of the soldier

I started by importing a head model from the model library. Then I started to modify the lines and faces of the model.

I am finishing the pattern of the head to resemble the shape of the poster.

2. Helmet Soldier and helmet straps

First, create a ball, then use [soft collection]. Push the dots on the bottom surface of the ball into the model. Then change the points, lines, and faces of the helmet.

This is the situation of the current model:

The bottom of the head model of the figure is not currently stitched.

After selecting the line at the bottom of the Edge mode model, [Shift plus the right mouse button] and then [Fill Hole], this will add the bottom of the model.

In [Face] mode, select the face of the model, and then [Shift plus the right mouse button], select [Poke Face]. This allows us to give an even alignment to this face and the lines on the model.

Start creating the helmet straps. I started by creating a curve for the CV. I’m going to use polygon to extend the curve to create a model. First, I created only one side of the model to use [Mirror] to create the model’s symmetrical half.

To extend the curve using a polygon, add a cube to the top of the curve, select the face where the cube and the line are touched, then [Shift] select the CV curve and use [Ctrl + E] to extrude the model.

Increasing the value of [Divisions] increases the number of extruded model segments so that the model is more similar to the shape of the CV curve.

After creating the helmet straps, I needed to model the decoration of the leaves and branches. I created the base faces and then used the [Shift + Right Mouse Button] button and selected [Multi Cut] to cut out the model’s desired shape. After selecting the cut faces, I used [Extrude] to extrude the thickness of the model.

I added the [aiStandardSurface] material to the model and then adjusted the model’s characteristics and colors.

This is the final result of the model of the soldier:

Summary of this week:

Thanks to my friends for their help. I’ve learned many new ways to make models with Lucy, Yann, and Sean’s help. This week, I’ve learned a bit about manual binding and weighting for models, I’ve also reviewed my modeling approach, and I’ve learned some new tricks. Compared to last week, my modeling speed has improved this week. I’m going to keep working on it!

This entry was posted in Collaboration Unit. Bookmark the permalink.