WEEK5_Creating Study Room Model

This week, I began working on the collaboration project’s study. Based on Yufei’s scenario design, I can see that a computer, a chair, an electric fan, a roof vent, and a door are the elements that need to be produced in the study so far. This week I’m going to create a model by combining design drawings with reference drawings.

Yufei and I discussed many design details in the scene, and he gave me some pictures for reference. This helps me better think about the details of the model I need to create.

This is a detailed picture of the scene model for reference:

First, I’ll construct the roof exhaust duct. I will make a cube model and use [Boolean] to make a fan outlet with exhaust, which is quite similar to the decorating model I made last week.

I have created a basic exhaust duct model:

Choose [Difference] in [Mesh] of [Booleans] when the Cube is built, then Combine, choose the base model of the exhaust duct, and then select the combined Cube.

The model is currently one piece, and I need to choose the exhaust fan model and split it from the base model. Select [Detach] and then [Separate] after selecting the face you want to separate.

I started to prepare the computer model. This is a reference drawing of the computer model design sent by Yufei:

I found a computer model that was very similar to this reference drawing, but it had too many faces and I needed to reduce the number of faces.

I tried three ways of reducing the number of faces.

The first method: using Zbrush to reduce the number of faces

1. Click on zplugin in the menu bar and find Decimation Master

2. Click on Freeze borders: this means that you can check this when decimating to prevent the outer contours of the model from being distorted.

3. Click on Pre-process Current: The software has to calculate the model before starting to reduce the surface. This is also a must. This is also a must. You may get stuck after clicking on budget processing. Just be patient.

4.% of decimating, (k Polys) polygons, (k Points) vertices, reduce the number of faces of the model, mainly set these commands on the line.

5. Adjust to the number of faces you want and click Decimate Current.

6. Complete the decimate operation of the model. The high-precision model will become a low-precision model after the decimate operation, but the details will not differ from the original model.

Second method: Use the ZRemesher function of Zbrush directly (thanks to Lucy and Yann for sharing this method with me)

The third technique is to use the MAYA plug-in to minimize the model’s number of faces.

I eventually settled on this solution, in which you enter the required number of faces and Maya minimizes the number of faces automatically. However, even after reducing the number of faces, there are still certain issues with the faces or the number of faces is still excessive. I’d make the adjustments myself at this point.

Finally, the effect of reducing the number of computer model faces:

Make the study shelves, computer desk, books, and other finishing touches.

(Because these objects have already been made before as identical furniture and decorations, the process isn’t as painful.)

Next, make the sci-fi chair and door.

Chair design drawing:

Created the chair model:

I also made models of doors and pipes to add to the scene’s realism.

My scene model’s second layer is nearly finished. Crystal and I reviewed the model’s viability, and I currently have a total of 61,066 faces, which she approves.  So I gave the model to Crystal first, who will put it through its paces in augmented reality.

Study room:

Sleep cabin:

Preview of the second level scene model:

Yufei advised that I enlarge the computer on the study desk and make the other decorations smaller or less during the group discussion. I think his suggestion is excellent; it would better highlight the study’s technology and allow for more lighting effects to be created.

When Kay is in charge of it is finished, we’ll change some of the models again. Thank you for all of the suggestions and assistance from the rest of the group.

Summary of this week:

This week, I thought it would be fun to increase the number of faces on the model. I tried several ways, including ZBrush. However, ZBrush tends to create uneven planes while reducing the model’s number of faces. I also attempted to decrease all of the faces manually, but this proved to be too time-consuming and slowed the model’s growth. I ended up using the plug-in and manually limiting the number of faces, which helped me avoid many model issues. Later, when I approached Yann about it, he stated it was a good approach for my working model. I consider myself quite fortunate to have had the opportunity to experiment with this way and save a significant amount of time in the production process. (Actually, it didn’t save that much time because the model had many issues through the process, which took time as well.)

At this time, I’ve completed all of the models for the joint projects for which I’m responsible. This is the first time I’ve built a set in the cyberpunk style. Throughout the process of making the models, I frequently asked my classmates questions about how to make them, and they were all very helpful in advising me on how to address the challenges. I’ve been quite fortunate in the collaborative project process, and the model is looking very nice so far. After Kay finishes creating the first-floor model and materials, I’ll create Arnold lights for the scene.

This entry was posted in Advanced and Experimental 3D Computer Animation. Bookmark the permalink.