WEEK5_Material Testing and Scene Lighting Rendering Testing

This week, I’ll be focusing on the development of glass materials. To investigate this glass material study, I want to employ the Arnold renderer in MAYA 2020.

Based on the literature reviewed last week, the glass material was investigated, but it did not appear to operate very well. (Blinn is used as material.)

This is the current property parameter:

I discovered a problem when I used the Arnold renderer to render the Blinn material. The rendering interface material will most definitely not be rendered. This time, I’m going to use the Airstandsurface material to make the model’s substance. I recognized some issues with my current study direction, so I went back to several Arnold renderers to create glass videos.

Ok, don’t worry, let’s start again. I’ve set the model to the Aistandsurface material. Our main concern should be the [Transmission] property, as this property is important for us to set the transparent material of the glass. Some objects do not absorb or reflect light when it hits them but rather cause the light to change angle once it has passed through them. This process of changing the angle at which the light hits is called refraction. Where light passes through an object without scattering, the object’s surface is transparent, while where light passes through an object with scattering, the object’s surface is translucent. In both cases, an interaction between the light and the object through which it passes occurs.

(I have quietly changed the Base color to make it easier for me to see the material effect of the stained glass directly)

I have adjusted the [Weight] of [Transmission] to 1, but the effect is not a glassy texture at this point.

Next, we need to unset the [opaque] setting in [Arnold] because we want to make sure that the [Arnold] renderer guides us to render not a matte material but a transparent glass material.

At this point, I discovered the mistake I had made. I could have done without adjusting the [Base color] color setting. Adjusting the color in [Color] in [Transmission] is also possible, and the difference in rendering effect is not too big. Increasing the [Depth] and [Scatter] values can supplement the ambient color of the surrounding mapping. You can see that there is purple in the scatter color of the object.

Since the glass material I wanted was not designed to disperse the color values inside the object more, I decided not to adjust the [Depth] and [Scatter] values for now. (Depth and Scatter can also be used to create liquids with a viscous consistency, such as milk or honey)

Scatter Anisotropy] is an attribute of scattering and will generally have an initial value [0]. Dispersion Abbe] can be changed to add colored refracted light to the model (similar to the texture of a gemstone) and [Extra Roughness] is to help add roughness to the model (similar to the texture of frosted glass). So far, these three attributes are not needed for this project.

The next thing to note is the [IOR] value in [Specular], [IOR] means Index of Refraction. Water has an IOR of [1.333], glass has an IOR of [1.5 to 1.7], and diamond is [2.418]. It is important to be aware of the refractive index than the material itself will produce. This operation will help the model to render the material better.

OK, so the initial plan for the materials has been decided. The next step is to create the different colored glass materials for the models in the scene.

The initial set of material effects :

At the moment, I have only given each building model one color material for them. I am going to take the base material model first to test the lighting effect. This will reduce some of the rendering time. (Right now, there is only one [aiSkyDomeLight] lighting the scene)

Summary of this week:

I have been doing some initial material testing this week and I have realized that the stained glass material does present some difficulties. My scene has a stained glass look, but the glass is not very transparent, and I am not sure what stained glass building material will help create a better lighting effect for the scene. I will ask KK for some advice on stained glass and outdoor lighting after I test the lighting next week.

This entry was posted in Advanced and Experimental 3D Computer Animation. Bookmark the permalink.