FMP_3_ Character Modeling

Starting work on character modeling. My plan is to use MAYA and Zbrush to create the model.

Here is a three-view of my previously designed character.

Videos to assist in learning to create character models:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voQnBl4QO5k

Creation of the character’s body:

I created a basic body model of the character in Zbrush and then imported it into MAYA. It looks pretty good.

Because we can create the desired human model with the hand-painting pad, it is very simple to create basic character models in Zbrush. It saves a significant amount of time when compared to creating models in Maya (or maybe not so much).

Next, I created the hair for my model, again in ZB, and then used the topology to reduce the number of faces of the hair.

Final basic model:

Briefly review the Maya body model creation notes.

1. Create a polygon and adjust the shape of the chest and abdomen in sections,

2. Use [insert edge loop tool] in [edit mesh] to add a circular line on the torso surface to adjust the radian of the whole body. Then select the field lattice of the chest and execute [extract] to form the chest shape.

3. Add line segments on the torso, extrude the body’s big arms, and adjust the shape.

4. Extrude the jib under the boom

5. Add a chest segment and adjust the shape. Modify the abdominal segment and adjust the shape.

6. Add segments and extrude hips

7. Add segments and extrude legs

8. After adjusting the overall shape of the trunk and limbs extrude the position of joints

9. Adjust the wiring of the whole torso

Summary: ZB can directly carve and topology model, it’s really convenient!

Creation of the character’s clothing:

Because the character costumes I design are basically symmetrical, I usually create only half of them later in the creation process, and then [Ctrl+Shift+D] the clothes model to do the symmetrical processing after the symmetrical model is connected. The character’s costume is basically fitted, so it is possible to create the character’s costume in MAYA. I also tried using Marvelous Designer to create the trousers. As the character’s shoes are close-fitting boots, I extracted the calf’s face from the character’s body model to create the shoes to facilitate the subsequent binding. Similarly, as the character’s gloves are also fitted, I extracted the part of the character’s arms for the gloves.

Marvelous Designer Jeans Reference:

Display of character cloth model:

Creation of models for character accessories (forehead ornaments and necklaces):

Three views of the character modeling:

Character modeling video:

Summary:

This week’s model creation went not bad. (However, a lot of changes were made.) I’m still struggling with the model’s hair because the bindings and animations will be difficult to create afterward (as there are more controllers and animation keyframes to create). But I really like the design of this character model, so I’ll try to overcome the production difficulties as much as possible! The next step is to draw the texture in SP software.

This entry was posted in Final Major Project & Thesis. Bookmark the permalink.